Learn to Skate 4 Week Program
Progressively building upon the skills learned each class, this 4 week program provides an in depth breakdown of basic skating skills. Every week we will do a deep dive into a skill and allow for plenty of questions, time to practice each drill, and more direct feedback to your development. This program is intended for skaters who can stand on their skates with enough confidence to practice safely.
We offer rental skates and safety pads during our lessons! If you require gear please follow this link RENTAL to learn more!
Week 1 Topics:
- Safety gear and skate anatomy - wearing your gear properly and knowing the different parts of your skates.
- Balance and footwork - proper posture, safe falling, standing up, walking, side-to-side, transferring weight.
- Stopping - bubbles, plow stops, balancing on one foot, t-stops
Week 2 Topics
- Recap of week one - proper posture, falling safely, bubbles, plow stop
- Striding - how to stand while in skates, where to look, breaking down the elements of a strong, stable stride.
- Starting edge work - transferring weight while moving, turning using different edges, one footed balance, stationary bubbles.
Week 3 Topics
- Recap of week two - bubbles, stops, practice strides, maintaining strong posture and balance.
- Edges - practice emphasizing different sides, c-cuts, one footed edges.
- Beginning transitions - stepping open and closed, practice placing weight on heels and toes.
- Beginning backwards skating - stationary bubbles (back and forth).
Week 4 Topics
- Recap of week three - edges, transferring weight, stepping into transitions
- Skating backwards - backwards bubbles, looking backwards, edges, backwards plow stop.
- Transitioning - speeding up the steps, practicing pivoting, opposite side practice, front to back and back to front.
Rain date will always be the following week of any rescheduled class